Sunday, February 28, 2010

My hair makes me not want to work out.

Really stupid, right? But I seriously don't think I am the only one that feels this way. There are days when I just can not get out of the house for a run first thing or just don't want to face the cold. I have greasy hair. You can read more about that here if you feel so inclined.

I must wash daily. Much to the dismay of every stylist that I have ever encountered. Otherwise, I really look like I should be more of a bag lady. I have tried every powder, spray solution that I have heard of and nothing works. I just end up with greasy hair that has specs of white in it. Gross. I know.

So in an effort to save myself some embarrassment and self pity, I just wash my hair everyday. But then, if I work out that means I have to wash it twice a day. Which is even worse.

So I switched to this apple cider vinegar and baking soda method which has worked wonders. But it still did not eliminate needing to wash and STYLE twice daily.

Seriously, I am not the type of person that wants to spend hours daily primping. I have zero desire. But I want to run and I want to look cute.

Think, think, think.

I think I came up with a solution. At least one that works for me.

First, when exercising I do the first grade hair style of one pony with the sides up and one pony holding the bottom ( will post a picture once I take one). Then I go run. Sometimes I use a headband, a hat, whatever. It really doesn't matter.

When I come back before I hop in the shower I undo the bottom pony, get out a duck clip, pull the top hair into the duck clip and refasten the bottom pony.

In the shower I wash the top pony (duck clipped portion of my hair). When I get out, I take it all down, comb together and style as usual.

It is amazing how this takes five minutes and I look like I have just done the entire hair process. It works for me and makes me love running that much more. Because I feel more like a guy....like I can get in and out with little to no trouble.

I hope I am not the only one that worries about my physical fitness versus the presentableness (so not a word) of my hair. If so, oh well maybe I am that shallow.

1 comment:

  1. OK, I have the worst running hair. it's fine and long and it tangles easily. After long runs I have dreads... I'm going to have to try the "double pony" method and see if it cuts down on the knots. You're SO not the only one out here who worries about this sort of thing, it's just that being a mom & more, we can't always voice our thoughts. Truly though, I say that, before the RIC Marathon I dedicated a post to my hair & the knots.

    ReplyDelete