Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Reason for running.

I have many reasons for running, but the number one reason on my list turns three today. GIA IS THREE!!!! Can I believe it!?!?! No. Can you....well of course. She is a human being and ages just like the rest of us.

One thing about being a mother is that the minute you hold that child in your arms you suddenly really understand what YOUR mom was talking about. You really did have no idea how much she loved you. Until that moment.

For me, it was 3:49am on 11.18.2006. After hours of labor, no drugs and a just all the way around stressful delivery this precious bundle arrived in my arms. I was in awe. She spent three days with me and then was rushed to the NICU. Long story that you can check out my other blog if you want to know all about our little lovey.

But with this little girl came nearly an extra hundred pounds. I had always run. But as punishment. I started out walking. Step by step. With walking and Weight Watchers the weight came off. S-L-O-W-L-Y. But it did come off. It was always more of a chore.

Then I discovered mile ten and a half. Oh for the LOVE of mile ten and a half. That is when the fog lifts for me and I feel like a million bucks. I never did experiment with drugs, but I really think this is what it must be like. Because mile ten and a half is what I love.

That is how the journey began. Then it became so much more. Gia was the first one to really consider me a runner. She is the one that starting saying, "Mommy, you run?" "Mommy, you wet?" "Mommy you feel good?" And then I realized. I am a better mommy because I put one foot in front of the other and run.

With running, I set a good example for her to be healthy and have internal drive. And like most things, I had no idea I was doing that when I started, but now I know.

So regardless of what Gia wants to do when she gets older I know that my running is something that inspires her to put one foot in front of the other and find the mental part no matter how rough things seem and how impossible it looks.

Happy Birthday Baby Girl! You are my inspiration!

2 comments:

  1. This made me tear up! What a great post and tribute to your little girl. You are an inspiration to Gia, me and everyone else who reads this blog or knows you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome!! Hey send me your Race schedule so I can add it to my calendar. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete